If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Thursday 4 June 2009

Roger Helmer

Thought I'd post something I was sent by Roger Helmer MEP a while back:
It's only about ten weeks until the euro-elections, and the way the polls are going, we should expect to do quite well. But we can't afford to take anything for granted.

I remember that five years ago I met good, solid Conservatives who'd never have thought of voting anything but Conservative in a General Election, or a local council election. Yet they seemed very relaxed to admit they intended to vote UKIP in the euro elections. I remember asking "Why would you do that? Don't you think I'm eurosceptic enough for you?" And the reply came "Oh we know you're alright, Roger, but we want to send a message to Central Office".

I think I understand where they're coming from. Sometimes I too get frustrated, and wish that the Party would take a tougher line on European issues. But let me explain why no Conservative should vote for a minor party in these elections.

First, the euros are the last national electoral test of opinion before a General Election, which must come within twelve months of the euros. It is critical that we build momentum towards the General Election. Even if you'd like the Conservative policy on the EU to be tougher, remember that only a government in Westminster can make a real difference. UKIP isn't going to form a government. They probably won't get a single MP in the General Election. The Conservative Party has committed to some key steps towards breaking the momentum of EU integration, and bringing back powers to the UK, in Human Rights law, and in employment law. We must do everything we can to ensure we get a Conservative government with a good working majority -- and that includes getting the best possible result in the euros.

No comments: