If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Friday 14 November 2008

Still none the wiser

I was asking previously if anyone knew anything about Tesco's owning some land that is due to form part of the Town Centre redevelopment. I'm still none the wiser about this, and though someone has kindly offered to do some land registry searches it's going to be a little bit tricky unless I can work out which site it actually is.

But it works like this - Tesco's may own some land that form part of the Town Centre redevelopment. MBC will need this if they want to press ahead with the plan. That is a rumour with no basis, pure speculation. I don't know if it's true or not.

But let us all consider a hypothetical situation.

Tescos wanted a roundabout on the Silk Road, and the council said no. Then the council suddenly said yes. The reason for this was to avoid a lengthy legal challenge with Tescos.

Let's not beat about the bush. If Tescos tried to sue the council then:
1) Personally, I'd be happy to pay £10 on my council tax that year to fight it - because I don't want a roundabout on the Silk Road and respect my council for making a sensible decision.
2) I would never shop at Tesco again because they showed so little respect for said council.
3) I would stand outside Tescos every Saturday morning for the forseeable future and tell everyone why they should go to Sainsburys instead.

Tescos know something like this would happen, and they wouldn't risk it. The action would result in higher council tax for all of their customers - and that would be bound to lead to negative publicity.

But what a (hypothetical) coincidence (with no basis) that the same Tescos may be holding a parcel of land which is of use to MBC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I'm still none the wiser about this, and though someone has kindly offered to do some land registry searches it's going to be a little bit tricky unless I can work out which site it actually is".

The Arighi warehouse area surronded by samuel st, wardle st & park lane was reported in the express as being purchased by tesco, go and check.

Anonymous said...

make an info request of macc council

and/or

ask tesco themselves what land they hold in macclesfield