If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Sunday 16 November 2008

Shifting the blame

I wrote earlier in the weekend about how frustrated I was about not being able to recycle my plastic.

I've heard all sorts of reasons for why we can't do it and I still remain unconvinced. If it's so difficult, cost ineffective and worthless then why are lots of other authorities doing it?

But I wonder if I'm chasing the wrong people. Rather than trying to find someone to recycle, perhaps I should be looking to cut out the waste at source.

The laws governing excess packaging are toothless and impossible to enforce. But the consumer has a power, not granted by law, all of their own.

I'm therefore becoming ever more tempted to start unpacking my goods at the checkout and leaving the rubbish for Tescos and Sainsburys to dispose of. By the time a few of us started it we'd soon cause enough of a scene for the supermakets to start paying attention.

Sumoking: I know that you're the expert, so perhaps you can tell me if it's legal?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you if it is legal if you will meet my humble fees plus VAT plus disbursements.

Off the top of my head, and subject to the caveat that i have not researched it in my many many leather bound books and also bearing in mind that i do not generally indulge in the grimey criminal world;

If you unpack before you buy the goods you are in trouble for criminal damage.

If you unpack in tesco as soon as you pay then the rubbish belongs to you and you may be in for some fly tipping.

However, if you were to negotiate with Terry on having recycling bins after the tills that people could dump their packaging in and Tesco could then flog to recycling companies you might be onto a winner and manage to up yourself to the heady world of westminster.

On the whole though

As a Tory I reckon you are more of send jeeves to waitrose man yourself.