If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Monday 10 November 2008

Crackers Collections

My neighbour has had problems getting his green bin collected this week. For whatever reason that no-one has yet fathomed they just didn't empty it - and as a protest it's still waiting out front for the gentleman from refuse to come and collect it.

This isn't causing me too many problems at the moment because day to day casework doesn't apply to us during the "shadow" period. It's up to the current MBC councillors to get this sorted. If it's not gone today then I'll give Elizabeth or Andrew a call and ask them to lend a hand.

Which leaves me to ponder why we collect green bins in the first place.

It's a great service and we all love it - but is it really the best thing for the environment? Whilst some houses don't have the space, everyone in our road could home compost - and this would allow us personally to get rid of items that are not allowed in the green bin.

This is exactly what we do - but I'll hold my hands up and say that we put our green bin out when we've had a particularly heavy weekend in the garden and it all threatens to unbalance our bin. (As many of you will know - composting is actually far more technical than you realise when you start!)

But on those weekends I would be more than happy to take a quick trip up to Danes Moss and get rid of my excess waste that way. And this would produce less CO2 than running a wagon down my road to see if I needed a green bin collected.

Yet plastic...we don't collect at the Kerb and can't dispense at the tip because it's too light to collect. It drives me mad.

Surely this would be a better use of our financial and environmental resources?

No comments: