If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Thursday 19 March 2009

People Dryers

So....until last Friday I was the Chairman of the local Conservative party. With over 600 members in Macclesfield it's quite a busy job, as most of them have something to say to you about local or national affairs.

I've now handed this job over to someone else, which has freed up a bit of time to catch up with everything in my in tray.

At the bottom of this tray was a cutting from one of the MBC newsletters which I received last year.

It's about "People Dryers" which have been installed at Macc Leisure Centre. Now I'm sure plenty of people will have experienced these by now - personally I've not been to the Leisure centre since I finished my Dive training - but the score is that for a £1 you get dried by a combination of UV lamps and a big fan.

The reason for this? Apparently the CO2 output is a fraction of that of normal towel usage.

Eh?

My towel doesn't run on Petrol, Diesel, or Jet A1. The only CO2 cost associated with it is the manufacturer of it (which is small) and then washing it (which you don't do every time you use it).

The dryer on the other hand, has significantly more manufacturing required - then there's transport of the device, running costs, servicing, etc..all of these have a large CO2 output. IR heaters may be more efficient than a resistance based heater, but it's still energy use that's not required.

I'm sure that quote came out of the sales pitch when they were comparing it to towels at a health club which are washed at 90 deg after every single use...but even then I struggle to believe that it's true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I have nearly fixed capitalism, just a few kinks, not helped by the turner report and it's non answers

2. Surely some sort of online radio and news cast is in order for macc, not that anything actually happens in macc

NEWSFLASH "A teenager was seen lurking today by a school! Cheshire Constabulary were called and turned up 2 days later to find he was a pupil and not doing anything anyway. Local pensioners bough 40 new locks and 2 rotweilers a peice anyway."

A photo op not to be missed surely?

Darryl Beckford said...

A photo op with Rotweilers? My Westie is not going to like that....