If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Wednesday 29 July 2009

Tamiflu

I got into an interesting debate with a nurse the other day about Tamiflu - the crux of which was about whether an individual can be prescribed the drug more than once.

This came about because of discussions about individuals attempting to mislead the flu advice line in order to get hold of Tamiflu when they didn't need it - and then perhaps taking it anyway thinking that it would prevent them from getting the flu. What would then happen if they then became properly infected at a later date?

Now I've been told off before about picking fights with people much cleverer and better educated than me, yet I'm still convinced that I'm right and the "one shot only" rumour is created by the NHS to stop people from doing what I've just described. As far as I can find out, there's nothing indicataed by Roche that prevents someone form undergoing two courses of the medication.

But I did find out something far more worrying.

All viruses develop immunity against the drugs that we create, but the flu virus is very good at doing this. According to wikipedia, when it came to Tamiflu:

In the 2007-2008 US flu season, resistance of influenza A(H1N1) was 12.3%, in preliminary data of 2008-2009 resistance reached 98.5%.


A very dramatic increase. If the same occurs with Swine Flu then it's likely Tamiflu will be completely redundant by the time the 2nd wave comes round in the winter.

This will leave us with Relenza as the other neuraminidase inhibition option. Unfortunately, Relenza is administered by inhaler and so is not as straightforward as Tamiflu.

I know we have some of this stockpiled already, but is it time to get ordering? GSK will be pleased.