If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Thursday 23 July 2009

Criminal!

Yesterday, I committed the ultimate social crime. I went to Sainsbury's without my reusable bags.

I could feel the eye daggers in my back as I carefully packed my goods into a disposable, landfill bound carrier. How many polar bears had I just killed? Would my neighbours ever speak to me again? Would it ruin my electoral chances for 2011?

It would be interesting to know how much usage of carrier bags has dropped. From what I see when I'm shopping, a good number of people now use reusable bags, and I don't doubt that it's a good thing.

But the real disappointment is that whilst the usage of non-biodegradable bags has dropped significantly - the number of non-biodegradable bags posted through my door by charities has increased exponentially.

I estimate that the number of these I throw away is far higher than the number of carriers we used to use. So all our hard work to save the planet is canceled out.

Now that is criminal.