If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Friday 17 July 2009

Barnaby

It was a very hot and humid night, and I was in Fina in town for the official launch of the Macclesfield Chamber of Trade. I happened to bump into Jane from the Loop, who had been tempting me with news of a cultural festival for Macclesfield.

I was very excited about this...many of us Maxonians are a bit touchy about "Culture" ever since the Times article (which was completely unfounded and a load of tripe). Then she told me it was going to be called Barnaby.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but I'd never heard of the name before. Jane explained the history behind it, much of which is covered here.

Jane's got some amazing ideas - including turning Woolworths into a beach (!). I dare say it will have to start small and build up to that, but it would be great if we can start a festival in Macclesfield that will grow over the years and prove that Macclesfield can be a draw to the cultural tourists.

4 comments:

Maxonian said...

Call yourself a "Maxonian" and you've never heard of Barnaby, shame on you.
I bet you've never heard of Macc Wakes either.

Darryl Beckford said...

I'm a Gypsy really - nobody will have me.

Know about Wakes, but only because I was reading up about Barnaby.

G said...

Despite what that Macc Express article says:

1) The feast of St. Barnabas is in fact June 11, not June 22
2) St. Barnabas is not recognised by the Catholic Church [or any other official entity] as the patron saint of silk workers.

Don't believe everything you hear - from Maxonians or otherwise ;-)

Spider said...

One gipsy to another?
Don't believe everything you hear - from either G or Beckford ;-)