If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Sunday 8 February 2009

Drinking

Here we go again.

Yet again nervousness about drink. Macc express has the details here: http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/news/s/1094651_its_the_pint_of_no_return

Given that it's probably my most posted about subject on this blog, I was disappointed that the chaps at the Express didn't ask me for comment on this.

Personally, I think it's poor that they haven't taken the time to draw a line between consumption volumes and behaviour. The two do not have to be linked, and we shouldn't do anything to punish well behaved people if they choose to drink a lot, sensible. You also don't have to drink a huge amount to get a bit rowdy and have a punch up outside the Litten Tree.

Until we ignore price controls etc, and start concentrating on culture we'll never get a solution to the attitude problem in this country.

But the best bit was this:

Andy Smith, chairman of Macclesfield Pubwatch, blames supermarkets.

He said: "The problem is people can get their hands on very cheap alcohol at supermarkets. The next thing you know they are out and being refused entry into pubs, which starts trouble. If prices are upped in supermarkets then people will go to pubs where it is policed and monitored properly."


I'm sure he's a lovely chap, and for that reason I'm not going to rip him to shreds for being a prat and suggesting that we can only drink when he's there to tell us how to do it. (although I really want to...)

But I will comment on the fact that he's trying to pretend that all the people getting into fights have got lashed as Tesco's and then stumbled into town for a punch up without going into any of the pubs there.

???!!?!? WTF?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I was disappointed that the chaps at the Express didn't ask me for comment on this"

Could this be the reason

"You also don't have to drink a huge amount to get a bit rowdy and have a punch up outside the Litten Tree"

???!!?!? WTF is the Litten Tree?

I'm sure you're a lovely chap, and for that reason I'm not going to rip you to shreds for being a prat and suggesting that we can only drink when you're there to tell us where to do it (and get it wrong). (although I really want to...)

Darryl Beckford said...

The Litten Tree is a mythical establishment imagined to be in Macclesfield Town centre and not designed to bear any resemblance to any pub, bar, or ray-finned fish.

I think you've misunderstood the point Joe. I'm not suggesting that you should or shouldn't drink anywhere. In my view that's really up to you.

But I don't think it's your choice to get rowdy in the street. That's completely unacceptable.

There are some bars in any town with a reputation for being in close promixity to fights. Those bars are just unlucky, I'd guess.

Anonymous said...

This might be of interest to you Darryl.

http://adamsmith.org/blog/media-and-culture/fake-charities-200903013027/