If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Thursday 3 September 2009

Parliamentary Prospects

I've just got back from Canalside, where I was interviewed by Heidi Reid on her local matters show.

Being that my mother has always told me to tell the truth, I had no choice when asked about the the upcoming Parliamentary selection process in Macclesfield than to fully disclose what I've been up to.

This is that I have been through the rigorous vetting and assessment process which has got me onto the list of Conservative approved Parliamentary candidates. This means that I can apply for any seat in the Country that becomes available. I have chosen to apply for Macclesfield, for which the deadline was today, Thursday 3rd September.

People keep asking me who is applying for Macclesfield. I have to say that genuinely I have no idea. All I know is that there is now a pile of application forms in an office in London, all with Macclesfield written on the top. And one of them is mine.

There could be over 200, and they need to be shortlisted down to 6. I therefore seems that my chances are slim. It means there is a temptation to keep quiet about it, because I will be undoubtedly disappointed if I don't make it through. But that would mean lying if people asked if I'd applied, and I didn't think that was the right thing to do.

So I'm happy to tell the truth. I'm happy to pile public embarrassment onto the personal feeling of failure if I don't succeed.

Some will say I'm too young, but that's not true. I wouldn't be the youngest in Parliament and I'd actually be the same age as Sir Nick when he was first elected. Some will say I don't have enough experience, but then in fact I doubt those people actually know. They won't know where I've lived, worked, and what I've achieved - and I look forward to telling them all about.

Fundamentally those questions are answered by the Conservative Party. They have a very strict process designed to only allow candidates through who are mature and experienced enough to make good MP's. I passed that process, so I'm feeling pretty confident about those questions.

Over the next few weeks I'll be saying more about what I want to do for Macclesfield. I have been careful to keep this blog about Council work over the last 12 months and you may see that change a little. I hope you still find it as interesting.

Wish me luck,
D