If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Monday 14 September 2009

Embarassing....

Got myself into a bit of a position that was unavoidable, (unless I wanted a divorce, or something to occur that I thought was wrong).

I was one of the signatories on a "call in" - which is where we ask a cabinet decision to be looked at by a scrutiny panel. The decision was to allocate land on the Hurdsfield industrial estate to be used for a waste transfer station. I can't quite remember the full list, but I seem to recall that it's a few Lib Dems, with Martin and myself.

I called it in because I believe that AZ are of significant importance to the economy of Macclesfield. Whilst they wouldn't shut up shop if we put a waste transfer station next door to them, it's not going to make Macclesfield an obvious choice next time they're or some other high tech industry is thinking of putting a new building somewhere.

Although the transport links at Hurdsfield may be the best in Macc, I think there are better locations for the station.

However, the scrutiny meeting is today, and I can't attend because I'm on holiday with my wife. It's generally the done thing to turn up when you've called something in, and this I can't do.

So I've written to the Chairman to apologise. I hope he'll forgive me, and I hope the other members who called the decision in will be able to make my points for me.