If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Saturday 20 December 2008

The Flowerpot

I thought I should report back on the infamous lines and how I think they're getting on. After all, it took so much effort to get them there it would be rude to just forget about them. ;-)

First things first: I'm a touch concerned that the junction is unsafe. I spoke to highways a couple of months ago and they didn't seem too bothered - but now I've had a letter from a ward resident who thinks the same I'm inclined to pursue it with a bit more vigour.

The lines are the first issue. The chicane manoeuvre one must execute to miss the traffic waiting to turn isn't too difficult - unless you're not paying proper attention. At 6pm after a hard week at work I suspect that there are a few people who fall into this less than attentive category.

The truth is that this junction should have been made wider to accomdate this turning traffic properly.

I'm also concerned about the safety on the other axis. When waiting to turn from Oxford road into Ivy Lane it's very difficult to avoid cars coming straight through from Congleton Road to Oxford Road. This is because they "swerve" into the new straight on lane at the last minute - and if they're going about 20mph this doesn't always leave enough time to get out of the way.

So I've asked the highways engineer to assess the safety of the junction - bearing these two specific points in mind.

This junction cost us a significant amount of money and it's a shame that it's imperfect. I don't know what the history of this short sightedness was - but next time I see the County Councillor responsible for the ward at the time (Ken Edwards), I'll ask him.

No comments: