If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Friday 5 December 2008

Back to school 2

Well...I didn't get pelted with fruit, one or two seemed to be a tiny be interested and I even got a wolf whistle (I really didn't know 15 year olds did cruel irony so well).

I was also a bit shocked about how many there were. I was thinking back to my school days - and Tytherington's over twice the size of where I went.

The background is that the school run a series of days throughout the year where normal lessons are binned and each year group focus on a particular social/environmental issue. Year 10's were looking at campaigning.

They watched videos in the morning of different types of campaign (sport, charity, political, etc.) they then had an hour with me (although I kept it to just over 30 mins in a transparent attempt to make friends) and finally they were then going to spend the rest of the time until lunch thinking about what they could campaign about.

I was genuinely delighted to be invited and I am really impressed by what the school are doing. The people I met today are of an age where they should and must tell people what they think is wrong with the world. It all tied in really well with the Whose Choice? campaign that we've been running recently, and I hope that some of them come up with some good ideas for campaigns and make a nuisance* of themselves around the school and around the town.

(*nuisance in a good way...I mean by challenging the status quo, not by knocking off car wing mirrors).

No comments: