If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Wednesday 8 October 2008

Eating leftovers

I've always poured scorn on those that complain they don't eat properly because they can't afford to.

It's codswallop. Meat may be pricey but veggies aren't - and unless you try and have steak for dinner every night it's exceedingly easy to make a good meal for pennies. Cut down on the amount of meat you use, and pick the economic cuts. Reuse everything that you can, and you'll be surprised at how far your money goes.

A few of my friends use to laugh at me for my roast chicken antics. We often roast one on a Sunday, have cold meat Monday, make a huge curry on Tuesday, have a pasta based soup on Wednesday and leftovers of the curry on Thursday.

These days I've got a few of them converted and they've had to find something else to laugh at me for (which isn't difficult).

Some I'm pleased to see that Cheshire CC are pushing this line in their latest newsletter. It's all along the lines of recycling and reducing waste - but gives good menu ideas to eat more economically.

Jamie would be proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see old fashioned patronising conservativism hasn't gone down the pan afterall.

You shouldn't have to make your meals last 5 days. This is western europe. You should be able to eat the breast meat and throw the rest away.