If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Tuesday 28 October 2008

Duplication

I wouldn't really say I'm gullible (I'm sure that there are some that will disagree)...but I think I got swept along a bit when I read the business case for the single unitary authority.

I specifically bought into the idea that said we'd save cash by not having duplication between the district councils.

This is true, but what it doesn't mention is that we actually establish duplication in County functions that have now be split between East and West.

As an example, one directorate present has 6 senior managers. In Cheshire East we're going to have 4 from next year. I assume West may do the same. That means there'll be 8 people doing the job that 6 people used to do.

A lot of the things that the borough council does turn out not to be duplicated, because we will still need the same number of bin men, teachers and librarians.

So it's clear that the promised efficiencies are going to be difficult to come by and easily balanced out by extra staff for disaggregated county functions.

What really gets the old bean working is this: assuming we do manage to make significant financial savings in the new council, how much of these could have already been realised in the old two tier structure without going through all this faff?

No comments: