If you've arrived via a link and you want to see all the latest posts: Click here

Monday 20 April 2009

Full of surprises

Perhaps this isn't news for those who have lived in Macc all their lives, but it's certainly news to me.

I was surprised when I found out that the portrait of Cllr Thelma Jackson in the town hall had been painted by Cllr Beard. I knew Chris, but I never new he was a fine artist. Still...I suppose it's not the kind of thing that usually comes up in conversation.

But it turns out that there's even more to Chris than meets the eye...he was one of the leading members of a band called "The Purple Gang" in the 60's that nearly made it big. They probably would have done if they hadn't been banned by the BBC.

More details at Wikipedia here.

One of their performances here:

No comments: